Pickler Library

Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri (1991)

Honor Award for Excellence in Architecture, St. Louis AIA, 1994

Citation, Unbuilt Projects Award Program, St. Louis AIA, 1987

Pickler Library

Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri (1991)

Truman State University’s Pickler Library was constructed in 1925 with a later addition in 1967.  When Powers Bowersox Associates was asked to renovate and expand the library they had three goals: create an efficiently organized home for the library’s 350,000 volumes; create an architecturally cohesive building from the original and its additions; and create a landmark for the University. 

The solution consists of a new building skin which wraps around the existing structure.  The existing library was renovated to house classrooms and facility operations.  A new three story atrium provides a place for vertical circulation and bridges between old and new.  The atrium is lined with study carrels and brings natural light into the building. Adjacent to the atrium, a three story open stack area provides clear organization for the library’s holdings in a flexible space bathed in natural light.  An arcade along the ground floor and the strategic stepping back of the upper floors maintains an appropriate mass and scale along the University’s quadrangle.

After its completion Pickler Library quickly became a landmark for Truman State University, and a symbol for the University’s dedication to research.  The library’s architectural merit was recognized by the American Institute of Architects in the form of various awards.  Most importantly Pickler Library serves three times as many students as before, and is the most popular place on campus to study. 

Honor Award for Excellence in Architecture, St. Louis AIA, 1994

Citation, Unbuilt Projects Award Program, St. Louis AIA, 1987