Second Presbyterian Church

St. Louis, Missouri (2013)

Renovation/Historic Preservation

Photography: Debbie Franke

 

Second Presbyterian Church

St. Louis, Missouri (2013)

Renovation/Historic Preservation

The Second Presbyterian Church is listed on the National Register, and is a designated City of St. Louis Landmark. Originally designed by noted St. Louis architect, Theodore Link in 1896, the sanctuary is Romanesque Revival style that has undergone several “modern” design changing renovations most notably in the 1980’s. Through collaboration with the Restoration Committee and a group of local design and construction professionals, PBA provided recommendations for improvements and restoration for the interior sanctuary, notably lighting, paint color (restored to the original), and acoustics for both music and the spoken word. When completed, the sanctuary’s architectural deficiencies were restored to the original design intent created by Theodore Link. The restoration represents an import civic accomplishment on behalf of the congregation’s stewardship, illustrating their commitment to preserving this landmark structure as part of St. Louis’ significant architectural history.